Tuesday 6 May 2008

Fear and trepidation...

The Rough Land is now fenced, prepared and ready to go. All that remains is for us to actually bite the bullet and move some of the llama family over to it. Sounds simple I know.

But first we have to catch them and get a lead on them. And then we have to step out into the open with no other means of control but the lead and our brute strength. It's one thing to walk llamas around familiar, comfortable surroundings, all within the boundary of the owners' property. It is another thing entirely to take them out into the big, wide world when they have no idea where they are going or what they might meet along the way.

Yes, I am not ashamed to admit that I am a little scared. I am scared of all the possible things that might go wrong, and I am scared of the pain I might experience if I get trampled on or kicked when we are trying to get the leads on. I am scared of the embarrassment and hassle that would ensue if one of them makes good his escape and legs it off into the nearest vineyard to wreak havoc and costly devastation. I am scared of the legal implications if one of them spooks on the road and causes a llama/vehicle collison scenario. I am scared that this has all been a very bad mistake, and that I really am not cut out for this sort of life at all.

Well, now I have shared my fear and trepidation. The sharing has not made me feel any better. But at least I won't be surprised when it all goes wrong. If we're still in one piece at the end of today, and if we have not been delayed by a lengthy stay in A&E or at the Gendarmarie, I'll write some more later to let y'all know how it went.

No comments: